Machine of the Year Award draws record number of entries
September 3, 2013
A record 25 entries at the cutting edge of agricultural technology will line up before the judges in the prestigious Henty Machine of the Year Award.
Announced on the opening day, this “farmers’ choice’’ award is presented to the most outstanding new piece of agricultural machinery exhibited at the Henty Machinery Field Days.
It is judged by an independent panel of regional primary producers.
In many cases the machine has gone on to become a standard piece of equipment on farms.
Judging criteria includes the machine’s purpose and suitability, scope of application, construction, ease of maintenance and service, ease of operation and adjustment, availability of parts and overall value for money.
Last year the award was won by Berrima Engineering’s BR 1200 Rollerbar hay rake, and highly commended was an automatic sheep handler entered by Olssen Ag-Clipex.
Machine of the Year chairman and Brocklesby grain grower Matt Bergmeier said the award was open to all machines on site released into the Australian market in the previous 12 months.
The judges are Lockhart grain growers Andrew Alexander and Mark Bowyer, and Warren Scheetz, of Culcairn.
“A win at Henty gives the entrant valuable exposure for their product,’’ Mr Bergmeier said.
Additional accolades are the Australian Tractor and Machinery Association Award for the best new Australian-made machine.
It is judged and presented on the final day of the field days. Last year, the award went to Goldacre’s Windrower 2000 sprayer.
Nominations are made by the Henty Machinery Field Day Co-operative members unloading machines – in the vein of the Archibald Prize packer’s award.
Judges then visit each nominated company during the field days.
The Land/NSW Farmers’ Association Farm Inventor of the Year Award is in its 50th year and is free for any inventor to enter.
Entries must be innovative, easy to manufacture and provide a solution for Australian agriculture.
This year’s entrants in the Machine of the Year Award are:
- Weedit, Croplands Equipment
- PC 370 RS trailed mower, Lely
- Tipping ATV trailer, Graytill
- Integra, Horwood Bagshaw
- Kanga PW 628, Kanga Loaders
- Model 53 Bender, JD Square Tube Benders
- Tow & Fert, Metalform Tow and Farm
- 550 AR IRS trayback ATV, TGB ATVs
- Ranchworx tandem trailer, Ranchworx.com
- Exhaust Fertiliser, Stubble Cruncher Exhaust Fertiliser
- CTC Coulter, CTC Coulters
- Smart Truck, LTS Equipment
- NDF Contour Special, NDF Disc Seeder
- Petrol post driver, Airplant Services
- Super Grouper, Eagle Machinery
- Can-am Outlander 500PPS, Can-am Off Road Vehicles
- New Holland draper front, New Holland
- New Holland Big Baler, New Holland
- 10045TS Series 2, Sonic Boomspray
- Razr 9 Series Air Cart, Morris Seeding and Tillage
- Diesel 10hp towable lime renders straw bale mud brick mixer, Geoff’s Tools
- Hardwood Mill Aust GT26 Mark 2 sawmill, Geoff’s Tools
- Dual Spray Trailer, B & N Trailers
- KSI 161285 Swingaway Mobile Conveyor, Kotzur
- Toro STX 38 Stump grinder, Toro Australia Pty Ltd